Skip to main content

Navigating Career Changes: Embracing Chaos and Chasing Dreams!

Photo by Peter Fogden on Unsplash
Have you ever gone job hunting?

It’s that time again — time to dive back into the world of job applications and resume building. We’ve all had those sit-down conversations with friends who share how they landed their dream jobs, assuring us we can do it too. It feels like taking a nice shower, putting on your best clothes, and going to a speed dating event recommended by your happily married friend of ten years. You know, the “love will come when you least expect it” situation. That’s what looking for a job feels like right now. I’m sure anyone reading this has felt the same way recently.

Ha! Let me tell you a story.

Earlier this month, I decided to change my career trajectory. Most of my experience has been in healthcare, but I’m still young and have time to explore other options. I discovered a passion for writing, culture, and community action, so I have been refocusing. I deleted my old LinkedIn profile and created a new one. I updated my resume to reflect my new path as a content copywriter, making note of my career change, and began applying for journalistic internships.

Now, here comes the funny part. Have you ever heard of BairesDev? I hadn’t until this week. Their site describes them as a software development and data science company. I saw a job posting on Google for a “Social Media Copywriting Intern” and thought, why not?

As I began applying, I filled in my previous work experience and salary expectations. They asked for my very first work experience, which was odd because I started working at 15, and writing “Supreme Pizza” down didn’t seem like the best option. So, I listed an Administrative Assistant Internship I did during my junior year of high school. Again, note that I have much more experience that is not only more recent but less relevant to the field I’m trying to break into.

Nevertheless, I persevered. They wanted a video or voice recording summarizing my work experience. I thought, “Okay, this is getting extra,” but I completed the voice recording. I was then directed to an assessment to “boost my profile.” I reluctantly started and encountered questions like, “If Josh usually makes 20 cents per glass of lemonade and typically sells 10 glasses, how much would Josh make if he sold 15 glasses for 10 cents less?”

So, like an idiot, I finished the 20-question assessment. When I was done, I was taken to a portal with other evaluations. While trying to delete this new “profile” I made for the website, I wondered what the hell happened to my job application. So here I am, chuckling to myself, writing about it.

In the midst of all this, my reactivated LinkedIn profile couldn’t be verified because it had already been verified before. So, every time I send a connection request to a fellow copywriting peer, they probably think I’m a scammer.

But you know what? It can only go up from here. The moral of this long-winded story is that even though struggles and confusion arise when making changes, it doesn’t mean you should give up. So here I am, still writing and hoping to find something that brings me contentment and fulfillment.

Photo by Austin Chan on Unsplash

Until next time. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome!

 Hey there, and welcome to the Divine Development blog! All over the world, we are either blessed or forced (for lack of better words) to consume the thoughts and points of view of people we have never met. In creating this blog, I even acknowledge this idea as it pertains to myself. Who cares what I have to say? No one knows who I am, and seemingly I am no one of importance.  Be that as it may, I realized that the purpose of this development is truly a way of accepting and releasing the challenges, and hardships I have endured in my life. As a young black woman, I am sure others can relate to experiences I have had, and am having! I want to take this journey together! I want to talk about things that not only come to my mind but things that my followers will like to discuss as well.  We will talk about life, love, loss, forgiveness and so much more. I implore you to stay tuned and to join in. I want to make clear that all are welcome, but this is a safe space for women most of all! Go

A Letter to Martin Scorsese

Letter to the DIRECTOR... Hey! Today is February 23rd, and I've been up all night. In the wee hours, I prayed and read my Bible, as it's believed that these times of the day or night are when God can speak more clearly to you due to the lack of daily obligations and distractions. Anyway, I'm about to try and update my car, even though I'm broke (as a joke ha!). So, I was going through my documents to make sure that I had my title readily available. While doing so, I found one of the papers I wrote during my time in undergrad. It was for an elective film class I took in the Fall of 2019 when I was still a freshman. It's funny because every now and then, I think about how fun that class was and how much it sparked my interest in cinema and writing about things that matter to me. At that time, I even considered trying to get into film school to learn more about the craft, but you know, practicality and life got in the way. Anyway, I read one of my papers, and it was ab

A Life of Transitions!

Hey Divines, I hope your week has been treating you well! Recently, I find myself in the position of "transitioning" and moving into a new stage of my life. I have been accepted to a mastery program for Counseling Psychology at Bowie State University (AYE, AYE, AYE BOWIEEEEE!). I wanted to come on here and do a quick check in :) Long story short, I am moving! I currently live in Rhode Island, but I am moving to Maryland in a few days time. Needless to say there is a lot of anxiety that is coupled with this experience - but I believe that God has a *divine* way of increasing the values we already inherit. Ultimately, I wanted to write this post to welcome anyone else who may be going through a transition in life right now that is causing stress or anxiety. Just know... We will be okay. We are okay, and this time in life is a blessing. You are doing so well, and all of the things you have been wishing or praying for is soon to come! In closing, I would like to say a quick praye